Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Wordful Wednesday--Makena

Makena, my first born baby girl. She seems to have enough energy to power a small country, always climbing and jumping off of things. If you can hang from it, she's all over it. Makena has a hearty appetite but is the most petite of the girls.

In the NICU, her premature lungs were the worst out of the three girls and the doctors were worried that she would struggle to come off of the ventilator after 6 weeks of support. Makena won that battle with flying colors and although she needed supplemental oxygen at home until she was 9 months old, you would never guess she once struggled to breathe on her own.

Makena's most prized possessions at the moment are her four beloved "boo blankies" and her Zoey (Sesame Street) backpack. Don't try to fool her at bedtime with crazy excuses when you are too tired to schlep downstairs for the one boo blankie that is hiding in the corner that didn't make it upstairs with us. Makena knows if one of the blankies is missing. It's her sixth sense. She'll ask, "Where are my lots of boo blankies?"

Makena is quite shy when we go to new places or there are unfamiliar people around. She will cling to me until she is comfortable, which usually just takes a few minutes. Makena still grabs onto me when I drop the girls off for preschool two mornings a week. She is definitely a mama's girl.

She loves to read books, count, color and practice writing her name, which at this point is just scribbles on paper, but she gets so excited to show me her work. "M" is her favorite letter and she loves to find it anywhere she sees writing.

A quick video of Makena counting the candles on Lolo's birthday cake.



Hosted by Angie

at

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your Makena is a breath of fresh air..

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

6 weeks on the vent, wow! And look at her now. =)

Jessica said...

Ah sweet Makey Jo! She is definitely a monkey girl:). I had forgotten she was on a ventilator for soooo long. You would never know the way she runs everywhere!!

Claremont First Ward said...

I didn't realize that she was on supplemental oxygen at home until she was 9 months old. I know I'm always amazed by your girls, but everytime I read something like this, I'm also amazed by the journey you and your husband have made with them.

I'm SO bummed that I didn't get to meet her.....or you. I hope a Disneyland trip is in the back of your mind? :)

Mandy said...

What a sweet and beautiful girl.

loren said...

6 weeks is a long time to be on a vent. All of your girls are doing so well that you would never know that they were so early! Success story, I guess :)

I remember being so freaked when Kristin wouldn't get off her oxygen. I was so worried she would never learn to breathe without it that I kinda forcefully weaned her from it at 6 months old. Of course, totally irrational, but tell that to me when I was riding on 3 hours of sleep every day!

Caitlin said...

oh my goodness! your little girls are so cute!

Pam said...

She is just adorable, as are the other two! How special to have three such wonderful girls....and wow she really looks like pictures I've seen of you! A friend in East Texas, Pam.

Jaysi said...

She is a cutie! I didn't realize she was on oxygen for so long! I can't imagine what your first few months were like!

I tagged you on my blog. Stop by and check it out!

Cecily R said...

I love to read about your little miracles...and that Makena. She is just a kick. I LOVE that pic of her swinging from a bar!

Rachael Schirano \\ Rachael Schirano Photography said...

i remember visiting your blog when i first was admitted to the hospital for ptl and reading stories about your girls and how far they have come always gave me so much hope during such a scary and uncertain time. and hearing this, reminds me of how happy i was to have found your blog.

what an amazing little girl!

enough energy to power a small country...heehee

Heather said...

Wow, those girls are walking, talking miracles! And so gorgeous to!

My name is Tammie said...

What a sweetie. I loved reading about her.

Jen said...

What a beauty! Thank you for sharing her with us!

Carrie and Jim said...

She sounds like loads of fun. Can she spare some of that energy?

Deb said...

what an absolute doll.

tiarastantrums said...

beautiful - and quite the little monkey!

Pennies In My Pocket said...

Ohhh she is so precious and such a gift! My baby was 9 weeks early on the vent for a while. I can't believe your Makena was on it for 6 weeks! What a testimony for how wonderful she's doing now!

Love the photos ... totally making me smile! :D

~melody~

Oh and the blogathon was SO fun...totally have a blog hangover right now! lol

Mozi Esme said...

What a treasure! She is beautiful and sounds like loads of fun!

Alicia said...

so cute!! She even counts better than some 2nd graders that I know!

debi9kids said...

What a beautiful post about a precious little girl.
What a beautiful family you have :)

Jen said...

I am really loving this series about your girls. It is nice to get to know them better.

Anonymous said...

beautiful girl!! Love her hair in the pic with her blankies! She looks so pretty with the bangs pulled away from face! Your girls are soooo tan..love it!

Susan said...

Isn't always like the littlest to be the most energetic and feisty?
She is such a cutie!

Laura said...

I am absolutely loving reading about each our your girls. What a amazing thing it is to read about where she is now after her rough start.

girlytwins said...

What a great post. Your girls are such fighters. I cannot believe she was on O2 supplements till she was 9 months. It must amaze you everyday to watch her in action :)

I love to hear about how different your girls are. I look forward to reading about 2 & 3 aka Ry & Lyssa :)