A couple of weeks ago, we had a playdate at a pizza place near our house and the girls fell in looooove with making their own pizzas. So last Saturday, the girls convinced me into looking up a recipe for pizza dough and making our own pizzas at home. The dough was super easy to make and I had all the ingredients on hand.
I set the girls up with their dough and they quickly got to work!
"Whatsa matta wit you mama? My pizza looks great!"
(Alyssa went with the non-traditional blob-shaped pizza.)
Giggles McGee (a.k.a. Makena) attempting to go for the triple-the-cheese pizza
Alyssa's finished product
(She decided to add olives as a topping just to make sure I didn't get her pizza mixed up with the other two)
I forgot to get a picture of Riley's pizza masterpiece which turned out to be just cheesy bread since she didn't want sauce, but I do have photo evidence of the mess she made with the flour. Good thing it was bath night.
Pizza Dough Recipe
1 package active dry yeast (2 teaspoons)
1 package active dry yeast (2 teaspoons)
1 cup warm water (105° to 115°, no more)
3 cups all-purpose or bread flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus a little for coating
1. Dissolve the yeast in the warm water. Set aside and follow the instructions below for the method you choose.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour the olive oil and yeast mixture into it. Stir until it begins to form a ball, then turn it out onto a clean, floured surface and knead for about 4 or 5 minutes.
3. Lightly oil the ball and the inside of a large glass bowl. Place the dough in the bowl, cover, and let it rise in a warm place until doubled, about an hour. For better crust, punch down the dough, reshape into a ball and let it rise again. You can refrigerate or freeze the dough at this point.
4. Divide the dough into 4 equal portions, about 6 ounces each. Roll each portion into a ball, then, working on a lightly floured surface, stretch the dough and work it with your fingers or a rolling pin to form an 8-inch circle. The outer edge of the circle should be a little thicker than the body, forming a rim. Add toppings.
5. Transfer to a pizza pan or pizza stone. Bake in a 500° pre-heated oven until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted, 10 to 13 minutes, or perhaps a little longer if your oven does not reach 500°. (I cooked our pizzas at 450 degrees for 13-15 minutes and it came out perfect).
Now go make some pizza! You can thank me later :)

Hosted by Cecily and Mamarazzi












11 comments:
What a fun night! It looks like the girls had a blast!
I have always wanted to make my own pizza dough. It looks like a lot of fun.
Say, this gives me an idea. Have you every seen my monthly feature at Multiples and More? It is about cooking with your kids. This would be perfect. Would you like to do a guest post about making pizza dough and pizza's? Let me know. :)
There's nothing like making your own pizza, just the way YOU want it! Way to go mom! :)
Yummy!! My girls would love love this!! You are such a cool mom :)
Looks like a fun time, maybe we try it. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Have a wonderful weekend.
You are SUCH a cool mom! I want the olive pizza. Really. That's my kind of slice. :)
I can't believe how big they are getting. They are SO adorable. Very, very sweet : )
What a great mom you are!! I have a hard time letting go and just letting the kids do their own thing. Your girls are beautiful!
YUM!! Thanks for including the recipe!
Oh we are making these:)..I love the pic of Riley's flour face. Thanks for sharing mama.
We love making homemade pizza too!
So much fun :)
Post a Comment