Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Wordful Wednesday and Kindergarten Prep

Kindergarten is right around the corner for the girls. CRAZY how fast time has flown by! Our local elementary school has a kindergarten orientation program that allows the kids to come in an hour a week over a 6-week period for "mini-kindergarten" classes. This has been a great way to introduce the girls to the elementary school campus, the kindergarten classroom and a few of the teachers.

This has also given me a little taste of what is to come....in the form of homework! Yep, each week we have gone home with a little packet for the girls to work on and return. Sheesh...not sure I'm ready for this! Of course the girls have done lots of worksheets and activities at home, but I've never had the pressure of having to turn them in to a teacher. Juggling homework x 3 is going to be interesting next year! Mommy needs to get a refill of her chill pills pronto :)

Miss Alyssa couldn't be MORE thrilled to have homework. She can sit and do school activities for HOURS! She totally gets this from me. When I was little, nothing made me happier than going to Gemco and buying one of those jumbo-sized activity books or playing school with my chalkboard. I printed out 100+ pages of preschool worksheets last weekend for each of the girls and Alyssa is already done with her binder. She totally wants to steral her sister's binders and do the work all over again. She cracks me up!



For more Wordful Wednesday

Visit Angie at

11 comments:

Claremont First Ward said...

MY girls are going to kindergarten next year? HOW is that even possible. I guess they are going to have to give up their nap, now, right?

Seriously, Casey, KINDERGARTEN?

I can't bear to send the twins next year. So I'm not. :)

Tracey's Life said...

How cute Casey! You and they will be fine. I know each school district does different things for keeping kids organized, but I can highly recommend getting each girl a folder with pockets on both sides. You label one side "Take Home" and one side "Bring to School". Once homework is done, it gets moved to the "Bring to School" side. This was an idea given to me to help keep my very unorganized kids organized. I won't say it always works - because they now have a folder for each subject and getting the correct folders to come home is sometimes a challenge.

Good luck - there are lots of fun days ahead!

Will they all be together for Kindergarten?

Amber Page Writes said...

Well, she's off to a great start! I hope she never loses that love of learning.

Annie said...

Kindergarten is going to be a challenge but is a great idea that kids go for 6 weeks before the "real start" of classes.

I know they are going to have lots of fun at school.

Anonymous said...

ahhh kindergarten!!! They are growing up so fast! I loved school and worksheets and math when I was a kid too!! The prep program sounds really neat and a great way to get their feet wet!

Tamara said...

What an exciting step in the girls lives, they are becoming such big girls!

www.tamara-camera.blogspot.com

girlytwins said...

How can this be that all our little people are starting school so soon. Mine still have another year but it feels like just the other day we were chatting about bottle vs. breast and getting RSV shots :)

Are they going to be in the same class? I am so terrified of all these changes, seriously, I have had nightmares LOL.

I do love how cute they are about starting school. I hope mine will be the same when the time comes. :)

Scary Mommy said...

That is so cute!! Lily LOVED homework the first few weeks. Now? It's a nightmare getting her to do it. I can't even imagine what it will be like when all three have work to do!!

latree said...

good luck girls!

tiarastantrums said...

at least they are having a great time with all the homework! My kids , well, maybe not my 8 year old son, love homework!!

Jessica said...

I love that Lissy is so Gung Ho about her homework already:). So fun that Evan and the girls are going to Kinder together. Time needs to slow down sista!