Two years ago, on December 15th, our long NICU journey had come to an end for Makena and Riley. Makena had joined us at home on December 10th after 110 days in the NICU and her baby sister Riley joined her at home 5 days later. Makena had a hard time sleeping at night during those first five days. We wondered if it was because it was too quiet after all the activity she was used to hearing in the NICU. But once Riley joined her, she was much more content. The only person missing was Alyssa who was still in the NICU.
In the first picture, you can see all of the oxygen tanks lined up. Those were our small tanks that we used when moving around the house. We had a huge tank that was 5 feet tall in our master bedroom that we hooked her up to at night.
Those first few weeks are a blur. Feedings, pumping, naps and visits to the hospital to see Alyssa was my daily routine. And don't forget various doctor appointments to their Pediatrician, Opthamologist and Pulmonologist just to keep things interesting.
The girls were pretty easy babies. The only time they really fussed was if they were hungry. But every night between their 11:00 p.m. and 3:00 a.m. feeding they had a hard time going back to sleep. Steve and I would each sleep with a baby on our chest and I remember that we were both so worried that they were going to become spoiled and never want to go back to their crib.
I miss those days.









11 comments:
My boys came home on the 19th and I was just thinking about posting abou this. My boys had the same problem late and night and early into the morning and I would get anxious just thinking about it because I was SO tired. We did the same thing, only we just had 2. I'm so glad to be done with that phase, but I do miss it. I miss those cute little babies and all the care they did require.....
I love reading this post! I cannot believe how far they have come and how you managed it all. I found it hard with two! My girls were not easy babies and cried every night from evening till 3-4am! They never slept. I thought I was going to die. We made it through and I also miss those tiny little babies!
never thought I would say that I missed those days. I actually miss nothing about those terrible nights! I just miss the tiny babies!
What a long haul in the NICU, but the best present before Christmas I can ever think of.
What an incredible journey all five of you have had. Thank you for sharing the Quilao story with the world -- anyone who reads your blog is a better person for it.
Oh those pictures are so sweet! They are so teenie! So hard to believe looking back how tiny babies can be. Such a sweet post.
How sweet...how tiny. What a long amazing journey. All they have been through and they are absolutely perfect.
Oh, I know what you mean ... I miss the days when our trio were tiny little babies.
And to think, that's when I thought life was tough. Oh, grasshopper. How little did I know...
The girls are just beautiful. You done good!!
Look at how far they've come, and all they have ahead of them!
I share those blurred memories! Some favorite funny ones are the ones where I'd wake up not being sure if I had a baby on my chest when I went to sleep or not - so confused! And seeing babies in the corner of the bedroom waving to me (obviously there was never a real baby in the corner!) ... I always regretted not sharing my bed enough with the trio, but I make up for it now since we co-bed. And I love being close to them for as long as they'll let me!
I never realized that Alyssa was your last to come home. My Alyssa was the last too.
Maybe its all to fresh, but I still don't miss those days. I love my sleep a little too much! LOL!
Kimberly and the GA Guinn Trips
www.guinnfamilyhome.com
Post a Comment