Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Childhood Memories

I found this old picture of myself and I'm guessing that I was about 5 years old. The bunny pin stuck to my jacket clued me in that this must have been taken on Easter Sunday. The chair that I am sitting in, was an antique chair of my grandmother's. Many of my childhood pictures, specifically from holidays or special occassions were taken in this chair. My grandmother used to make clothes for me when I was a little girl and she made the pink jacket I am wearing. I really admire people who can sew. I think it takes such talent.

My grandma also used to make barrettes for me. Remember the ones with the thin ribbons that were braided into the barrettes? And to make it extra cool, you would put beads at the end of the ribbon that would whip you in the face when you shook your head from side to side?



My grandma was such a wonderful person. She had the kindest heart and was always so happy. One of my favorite memories from childhood was hanging out at my grandparent's house during the summer. Sometimes my cousins were there with me, but lots of times it was just me. One of our favorite games to play was Bingo and my grandma always had a bag of wrapped prizes for the winner to choose from. I would watch old episodes of "I love Lucy" or "Leave it to Beaver" while snacking on Velveeta cheese and fudgesicles. They had a crotchety old dog named Philly who would curl up with me on my grandparent's bed in the afternoon and we would take a nap.

Little things used to excite my grandmother. She used to tell us that she enjoyed getting the cute little gift bags with the pretty tissue paper and we didn't need to bother putting a gift inside. She went through her first drive-thru carwash when she was in her 60's or 70's with my aunt and I think she almost peed in her pants because she thought it was so funny. She would get a little tipsy off a glass of champagne on special occassions and giggle like she was a teenager.

She was full of life and laughter until the day she died.

I miss her.

14 comments:

Claremont First Ward said...

She sounds like such a wonderful grandma, and the memories you have of her are awesome. I SO remember clips like she made you and the story about the drive through car wash made me almost pee my pants. LOVE the picture of you. You were so incredibly adorable. Easy to see where your girls get it! :)

Sheena/H2Mommy said...

She sounds like an amazing women! I was extremely close to my grandmother as well. I love to just sit and remember the time I had with her just as you did in this post. And seeing that photo of you when you were younger definately reminds me of your girls!

Shannon said...

What wonderful memories. All of these remembering posts I keep reading makes me feel like I need to go and see my grandma. She is still here and I never see her. I don't want to wish I spent more time with her when she is gone and there is time to make more memories. Thanks for the lovely reminder!

The photos are priceless!

Mary Franks said...

I have memories of my grandmother like this and I know my boys have memories they will carry with them of special times they have spent with my mom too. I hope I am making memories like this with my grandson too. I spend as much time as possible with him as I can in hopes that he will always know how much he knows how I love the time I get to spend with him.

Anonymous said...

Oh Casey! That was so beautiful! You truly spoke to my heart. My grandmother and I are very close.. she's been sick for a long long time. The thought of her not being here tomorrow is almost too much to take. That was so sweet to read.

Thank you for the sweet email. It's been a really hard week. Thank God the kids are at least sleeping at night. Otherwise.. I'd lose my mind.

Ohh.. and my hubby made me that signature. He's so cute! I'll ask him how he did it and shoot you and email.

Thanks for always being such a good friend!

HUGS!!!!!
Gen :)

The Pruetz Family said...

You brought tears to my eyes, making me recall my own grandma. Thank you for sharing this with us -- what a special and wonderful woman. I love the story of the car wash and that she made clothes for you. I had a zillion of those braided and beaded hair clips -- what a great memory.

Fantastic post.

BTW, you're one of those people who will look the same from the day of your birth until you're 100 years old. I've always envied people like you!

My name is Tammie said...

OMG The girls look just like you!! Seriously its like looking right at Makenna and Rylie!

Jessica said...

I am teary, what a sweet post! She was an amazing woman! I am so glad I had the chance to know her:)
Those beaded barretts were sooo cool!!! Maybe we could take sewing lessons. Seriously, I would love to learn..
Love ya Girl,
Jessica

loren said...

It sounds like she really left a mark on you. That's all I hope for after I'm not here anymore... that someone remembers me in such a positive light. I'm sure she'd be proud!

Those braided hair clips were about 80% of my hair accessories, and the other 20% were the rubber bands with the "marbles" on the ends. How funny! And your kids are the spitting image of you, WOW.

latree said...

sounds like wonderful woman.
and cute picture of you...

Anonymous said...

I'm with Tammie.. the girls do look SOOOO much like you!!!! WOW!

VERY COOL!
XOOX
Gen

Tracey said...

This post - and the one about your mom - are my favorites. I love seeing the resemblance between all of you. I miss my Mema, too. And you are just TOO CUTE. I'm certain you would have aced the Block Design subtest. XO

Anonymous said...

Hey I am the mom to a former 28 weeker who weighed 1lb and 5.8 oz. He will be a year old next month.
Stop by my blog and say hello.

The Amazing Trips said...

What an awesome post and what an awesome grandma. Your girls really do look like you, the resemblance is uncanny!!

Now, will you make them some of those fancy barrettes? And maybe a friendship pin or two?? :)