Monday, July 28, 2008

Reasons to give

About a year ago, I was out running errands when I saw that a local News Channel was hosting a blood drive. In the past, I had never given blood before despite a few easy opportunities to do so when blood drives were being held in my area. I always found ways to talk myself out of it.

I was scared of the needle.

Too afraid I would pass out.

Didn’t have enough time to squeeze it into my day.

This time it was different. The simple task of donating blood had a whole new meaning. I walked into that blood drive and became a registered donor.


My premature daughters required ten blood transfusions between the three of them during their NICU stay. Someone, somewhere had given blood that helped to save their lives.


Each time you donate blood, it is estimated that you are saving two lives.



So if you have the opportunity to donate, please do. If you live in California, visit the Bloodsource website to learn more about donating in your area.

101 comments:

Heather said...

Thank you for the precious reminder to donate blood. It's so important. On a side note...I love how your girls' dresses in that picture match your blog layout. They are too cute!!

Malena said...

Great post, and so important to be reminded about the constant need for blood. My kids had some transfusions as well and I am forever grateful. Unfortunately I am not allowed to donate myself. I lived in the UK for a while during the Mad Cow craze...
I can't believe how big your girls are now! I think everyone's going thru a growth spurt in the summer! :)

The Tang Rodz said...

Interesting that I saw your blog about blood donating, today is actually my due date to donate (as in I donated 56 days ago and I can donate again today) I work at a childrens hospital, knowing my blood is going to some child in the hospital, and maybe I am walking right next to them, its a great feeling. I recently joined the bone marrow registry and i do have to admit I am scared for the day I get that call.

Jen said...

Being a blood donor is an awesome thing to do. As a RN, I see reasons for it all the time. I am a donor and so is my husband, its is one of those simple things to do to help save someone's life.

Suzanne said...

o casey---what a beautiful post, and SO true. you are amazing. blood saved MY life too! i had 3 units after giving birth to the quads. i'm looking at your NICU pics and the girls were GORGEOUS! even in the NICU! they looked SO healthy! God is SO good...what an amazing way to give back! hugs!

Anonymous said...

Saw a comment you left on The R Family Diaries and thought I'd pop over to check out your little cuties. They are adorable.

I'm with you on the donating thing; it's such a simple thing to do that helps so much.

Hilary said...

Wow that is awesome! I am a blood donor in my area because i have always felt it was my self-less way of giving something that was precious to the person in need. I think if people knew who they where helping they would donate..Glad that someone gave blood that helped the girles :)

Jessica said...

That's me..finding ways to talk myself out of it.. I will..I need too. A great reminder, and it gives perspective on what a simple task can do.

Rachael Schirano \\ Rachael Schirano Photography said...

thank you for this post! i am always asked to donate blood but seem to come up with a million excuse why i can't for that day or time. since my babies were born though i have been wanting to make it a regular thing, and this was a great reminder to do so!

Rachel said...

i have chills...what a good way to remind us how important something as simple as giving blood can be a life changing gift. adding the pictures of your little cutie pies really brings it home...thanks casey!

Claremont First Ward said...

I haven't given blood in too long. Thanks for reminder, and for the pictures of your girls. Always a highlight.

Anonymous said...

thats a great reminder to give back! so many of us take it for granted when blood is made available to one of our family members...it comes from someone..somewhere..
selfless enough to donate ..thank you for giving back!
P.S. Purple/Lavender is DEFINITELY your girls' color! Looks great against their tan complexion and dark hair!!

GlitteryKitchenTable said...

You are so right. Great reminder-and ADORABLE pics of the girls! Have a good week! :)

Ash

The Voice from Shelbyville said...

Those girls are the best reasons to donate!

Don Mills Diva said...

I have never donated blood and I have always meant to - I think I will try and make a point of it this year..

Rebekah said...

What a beautiful post and a wonderful topic to blog about ... I too am a blood donor and a marrow donor - you never truly grasp all the lives that can be saved by such a simple act of kindness - afterall just look at your 3 miracles ... Hope your week is going well!

Rebekah, Jaden & Baby#2 TOO

girlytwins said...

Chill inspiring post. One of my girls had to have a transfusion and it was a very difficult thing for me to get my head and heart around. I am forever grateful to whoever donated and saved my babies life.

Jaysi said...

Your girls were and are beautiful. I have donated many times in the past, but not recently. I will do that soon. You have inspired me!

The Voice from Shelbyville said...

P.S. I forgot to mention that this really jumps out at me since I am now aloud to donate when we have the blood drives at school. Turned 16 a month ago. If I had any doubts this posts cleared them out!

Rhonda said...

That's great! I became a donor last year, and OH, does it feel good!

And you get cookies and juice....

Cecily R said...

What an amazing reminder. Makes me wish more than ever that I was allowed to donate.

Your girls are just so stinkin' cute!!

WheresMyAngels said...

I don't know what you just posted because I can't get over how cute those girls are! OMgosh, I just love girls (well most of the time, mine have their days)

Louisa Claire said...

It's great to see you promoting this! Giving blood is really easy in the scheme of things and you can never know when you or someone you love will need blood. Wouldn't it be awful if they didn't have any for you?

Tara Bennett said...

What a beautiful reminder of such a beautiful gift! Your girls just melt my heart! I love the 2nd pic where they're all laying and facing the same direction - sooo precious!!!

cat said...

Oh gosh, your girls are adorable! They are the most beautiful kids. My hubby has been a donor for years - I can't as I had an blood disease in my teens, but will test again next year to see if I can now.

Gretchen said...

SO cute! a great message to share, too.

Anonymous said...

Your girls are beautiful. Thank you for sharing this post with us. I too am scared to death of needles but I may just reconsider now. Love your blog layout by the way!

LaTonya Yvette said...

A beautiful Gift! Enjoy your SITS Day

April said...

Yes, it is such a wonderful thing to do that can save so many lives.

Heather said...

What a beautiful post! Amazing how something as simple as donating blood can help 3 amazing little people.

Mandy said...

Your girls are precious. I am so glad that you posted this to remind people of this important thing!

Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

Beautiful post!

I have tried and tried to give blood but they don't want mine. I've spent too much time out of the country so they don't want my blood. :(

OMG are your girls just Precious!
Happy Sits day! :)

Anonymous said...

What a great reminder to think of how you can help others, especially this time of year.

I recently registered to become a bone marrow donor if needed - it was a great feeling to send that packet off in the mail.

Lesley said...

Three precious reasons why we should all do our part......thanks for reminding me....

Nina said...

That was great and those are really good reasons to give.

Great post!!!

Tabitha Blue said...

What a great reminder and perfect way to share it! Thank you. Makes me ready to give blood... I've always been scared to do it too :)

Legal Diva said...

In college I tried once and passed out, but after having my twins I sucked it up and have been giving blood ever since.
My father-in-law passed away from cancer in July and he had at least 6 transfusions during his chemo treatments.
Thanks for reminding people to take just a few minutes and help others. Besides, you get a snack afterwards!

Anonymous said...

Donating blood is so important. Being a gay man, I'm not allowed to give blood or I would. But we have a blood drive every year at work and I encourage everyone to participate. Oh and happy SITS day!

Jaden Paige said...

Happy SITS day and thanks for the reminder of how important it is to give blood if you can. I, too, used to be too afraid to give blood...

Melodie said...

I used to donate regularly, but since I've developed anemia, I've been banned. So, I make my husband donate as often as I can now.

S Club Mama said...

My husband donates a lot (or at least when he can make it to a place to donate). I, on the other hand, have a medical thing where I can't. Which is a shame because I'm not afraid of needles!

Vickie said...

What a wonderful reminder to donate blood.

Happy SITS Day.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this! I used to be a regular blood donor myself. But my annual trips to Kenya now disqualify me. :(

Kristen said...

Happy SITS day! You have three precious and beautiful reasons to donate. Thanks for the encouragement to do the same!

Michelle said...

What a lovely message. I'm a neonatal donor, and it always tickles me to think what my blood is going for. Next appt is next Friday!

Your girls are so cute... and they have such GREAT hair!

Unknown said...

You are absolutely right. What an unselfish act of love we can give. Thanks for the reminder.

•´.¸¸.•¨¯`♥.Erin.♥´¯¨•.¸¸.´• said...

Your girls are absolutely gorgeous. Such wonderful pictures. I have a huge fear of needles. But you know, going through my pregnancy, I sort of got used to getting poked and having blood taken. So I really should find a local place to donate to. Thank you for this post.

Melissa ♥ Spoiled Mommy said...

Great post-what a great reminder and seeing those precious faces makes it even easier to do so!

jubilee said...

What a great reminder. It's so easy and it only takes a bit of time.

Anonymous said...

You're absolutely right. Giving blood is a fairly easy way to help. I'll have to look into it.

Your girls are lovely. Happy SITS day.

Amarie said...

I needed 2 blood transfusions during a very rough pregnancy, and am very thankful that it was there when I needed it. I can't donate because of my anemia, but encourage everyone who's healthy enough to do so. Happy SITS day!

Jacie said...

what a great post.

C♥ said...

thank you for a great reminder.

it's amazing, and donating blood too often goes by the wayside.

happy SITS day.

Amy said...

Your girls are absolutely precious!
I have tried to donate too when I can. Just knowing you can help someone is a nice feeling.

Brooke said...

Oh my goodness. What sweet girls. I am sure they keep you busy....even without the potty training! :) I try to donate blood every chance I get. I have not benefited directly from it like you but one day, you never know. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the beautiful reminder...from another mom of a NICU preemie(and twins who were also preemies!)!

Happy SITS day. Your blog, and your daughters are gorgeous and I look forward to getting to know you all a little better through your blog.

What A Card said...

How wonderful, and how important. Our twins club organizes blood drives, since so many preemies end up needing transfusions. It really makes the need more personal!

www.AForestFrolic.typepad.com said...

Oh wow, you are amazing! And good for you donating blood. Your little ones are sooo cute!

Ronnica said...

I've given blood several times, but had to give it up. I almost passed out each time, no matter how cautious we were. My body apparently doesn't know how to regulate where to send the blood as well as it should!

kikibibi said...

That's just the encouragement I needed! Thank you. kk

BrookeJean said...

I'm donating blood tonight! I haven't done it in a few years but I'm hoping I don't chicken out and this post kind of made sure I wouldn't.

Brandy said...

Thanks for the reminder - we often take things like this for granted.

Congrats on being FB today!

Momma Chae said...

What a great personal story to encourage blood donation! It reminded me that I haven't donated for a while.... I suppose I should do so now that I don't have any excuses! (done being pregnant and breast feeding...)

Laura said...

Thanks for reminding us about the most important thing in life - giving to others.

Em said...

I know it would be good kharma to donate blood, I plan on doing that when I am not pregnant! Thanks for putting faces on those in need!

Mimi said...

Thanks for the reminder. Enjoy your SITS day!

Anonymous said...

Great way to put faces with that reminder.

Unknown said...

What a great post! Happy SITS Day!

April Kennedy said...

Thank you for that beautiful reminder. And by the way, your girls are darling!

Katie said...

It is so important! What a great reminder.

Anonymous said...

Great reminder!!

Catherine said...

You've convinced me to give blood the next time there is an opportunity.

Thanks for opening my eyes!

Melissa Lester said...

That is the three best reasons I can think of to give blood!

Rachael said...

What a great post. I've never donating blood, but this is just one more reason that next time I see the truck... I'm in!

Shala said...

What a great post and a great reminder to give the gift of life. It only take a few minutes but isn't it funny how it's so easy to fill those minutes with something else less meaningful.

Andrea said...

I can't donate blood (I have medical issues), but I wish I could. I always encourage my husband to give.

The Boss Lady said...

Such a great reminder...it's not just blood, it's someone's life. Thank you!

G. said...

Great post! You've inspired me!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful reminder and it's important to keep donating regularly because not only does the supply run out but the shelf life is limited too. (I just found out about the shelf life thing not too long ago--I was shocked.)

Again, Happy SITS day!

Michelle said...

I have donated blood, but your make me want to. :) Great post!

Live.Love.Eat said...

Wow, that was a powerful post! I didn't know about the estimated 2 lives being saved. I will DEFINITELY give blood next time I see the opportunity!!!!!

Bluebell said...

I have never donated blood, but your post made me determined to make sure I do....excellent post, we need reminding about the importance of giving blood. x

Anonymous said...

You are so right. Great reminder-and ADORABLE pictures of the girls!

Anonymous said...

You got me...I'll be the first in line next time it comes up...I promise.

wenderful said...

Thanks for the reminder. Your girls are so sweet. My son required quite a few transfusions for his 3 open heart surgeries so I can appreciate a generous blood donor too. Happy SITS day!

jori-o said...

I'm a big believer in Donating too. I'm behind schedule, though, so thanks for the reminder. And your babies. Oh. my.

Beautiful!!

Rhea said...

Fabulous post! I love that last photo of the girls. Those purple dresses are beautiful!

Susan said...

Your girls are beautiful...I still have yet to donate blood. Up until just a few years ago I wasn't able to for medical reasons, now I should be able to.

Sandra said...

They. Are. Gorgeous!

MaricrisG said...

I was a recipient of a blood transfusion when I gave birth to my daughter. I lost a lot of blood during the C-section surgery that I needed one. I'm grateful to those who donate theirs to give life to others.

angie said...

Wonderful post!

Finding Normal said...

Happy SITS Day to you!
Gorgeous girls!
My girl has had multiple transfusions as well. I direct donate before her surgeries, but it's almost impossible to get a full unit out, so I can't randomly donate. Good reminder though!

Tiffany said...

Such a great post. When you put those faces to it, it's impossible not to give!

Jennifer said...

Oh they are so adorable!!!

Mrsbear said...

Great reminder, my husband and I routinely give blood, it's a wonderful thing to do for someone else. Congrats on the SITS feature, it was a pleasure to visit.

Anonymous said...

Great post. Didn't know that donating saves 2 lives. I wasn't able to give blood before always under weight but after two kids and some extra weight i can probably spare a little now.

Anonymous said...

Great post and great reminder.

Be Brave, Keep Going said...

what a great remninder to donate!

Alison said...

That is a beautiful way to remind us that donating blood is such a simple and necessary way to give life.

Anna Lefler said...

Oh, my, I needed to hear this. I'm motivated!

Happy SITS Day!

:^) Anna

Summer said...

Okay, I'll do it.