Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Wordful Wednesday and Ahhh Nuts-Part II

A little over a year ago, we discovered that Makena was allergic to peanuts. She had a follow-up appointment with her allergy doctor last month and he suggested that we do another blood test. The first time around, "her numbers" were low, but did show a peanut allergy. We decided to re-test to see if she possibly outgrew it.

I was thrilled when the doc called and said "her numbers" came back at zero and he suggested we do a taste test in the office to see if she reacts. So Makena and I headed out for a little peanut butter date the day before Halloween. I had visions of her enjoying a Reese's Peanut butter cup on Halloween night. It's the simple pleasures in life right?

So the taste test was quite the production. The doctor started with giving her one little dab of peanut butter to eat and then we waited 30 minutes to see how she reacts. So far so good--no reaction. We give her a second cracker with a little more peanut butter (probably less than 1/4 tsp) and we are still good to go after the next 30 minute wait.

I tried to keep my girl occupied with Elmo and Nemo DVD's and some color crayons but the poor girl was ready to climb the walls after an hour of waiting.

After the third peanut butter cracker with about a teaspoon of peanut butter, the rash and hives appeared. AHHHHH nuts! If you look closely, you can see the red rash around her mouth.



After a dose of Benadryl, we were on our way home. Makena enjoyed a little Benadryl-induced catnap in the car on the ride home.




Related Posts: Ahh Nuts


Wordful Wednesday

Hosted by Angie


31 comments:

Live.Love.Eat said...

Hi there! I wouldn't have guessed the rash would show up later on and not the 1st 2 times. Sorry. So far my little guy has no allergies that I am aware of, knock on wood. Happy WW!

Melissa said...

Aww, that's a bummer!! I love everything peanut/any nut related!!
I do see the rash around her mouth, poor thing!!

tiarastantrums said...

thankfully she had her blankie!!
sorry to hear that you have to deal with allergies! Tough!!!

Lilly said...

Bummer! Althought she does have pretty teeth. And, do you see the resemblance with you on the picture with your brother?

Rachael Schirano \\ Rachael Schirano Photography said...

ah nuts is right. what a bummer! that picture on the way home is so sweet!

Laura said...

I am sorry she had now outgrown her allergy. All of my girls are allergic to tree nuts. They can have peanuts (which are so much more common) but give them a walnut or other nut and we have the epipen out on the way to the E.R. Allergies stink!

Jaime said...

Oh that sucks!! My kids have each recently had hive breakouts but we aren't sure what's caused them. I hate allergies!

Cecily R said...

Yuck. That's a hard allergy to have to deal with. I'm sorry. At least she's was still her positive, happy little self when she posed for her rash pic!!! I love that!

Jen said...

Ahh nuts is right!

debi9kids said...

Darn! Peanut allergies are the worst! Thank God it wasn't a severe reaction. Atleast you know she can breathe around peanuts.
No Reeses for her :(

Steph said...

Bummer - but you know as for the halloween candy, that just means mom gets to eat all the snickers and pb cups. Next time you're at the doctors you should stop by and say hi!

Mandy said...

I liked the title of this post, funny.

Well shucks.

She does look adorable with her blankie!

loren said...

That stinks!

The girls have allergic reactions to cinnamon, and they get that same rash around their mouths. At least cinnamon isn't in everything (like peanuts).

Leslee P said...

oh man... a life with out peanut butter sounds terrible... oh well, there is still hope she will grow out of it right??? She is adorable.

Tracy said...

that is a HUGE bummer. she seems to be a real trooper - will say a special prayer that she never craves anything with nuts!!!

Lori of I'm no super Mom said...

Peanut butter allergies stink!! Poor thing!

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

What a bummer! Maybe she'll still outgrow it before long.

Claremont First Ward said...

What a huge bummer. I was hoping she had outgrown it!

Jocasta said...

Rats, Rats, Rats!

Hopefully she still outgrows it

Heather said...

That stinks! I can't imagine life without peanut butter! She looks so sweet all snuggled in her car seat!

Kelsey said...

Aww poor kid.
Hopefully she'll get to enjoy Reece's one day!!

Danyele Easterhaus said...

i really feel bad for her...no reese cups. that's just not good...but the poor thing. well, now that you know i suppose things may be easier and more complicated.

Carrie and Jim said...

That stinks! That can make little more challenging but I'm sure your work through it. Glad she is doing better. Good luck with the nut issues.

My name is Tammie said...

Aw man! That is so not cool! I really thought you were going to end this in the clear. Poop!

What do they think now? Will she ever outgrow it?

Jessica said...

Ahh nuts..Looks like still no p b and j's:(..Maybe she'll grow out of it soon and be able to enjoy peanut butter and crackers like her mama!

Michele S said...

Man. That stinks. But the fact she took so much before breaking out seems like she could still outgrow it, maybe?

girlytwins said...

Oh no. We have a minor peanut allergy with Charlotte too. It's really funny cuz we have made it such a habit of telling people about the allergy, that Addison will now tell people her sister is allergic to peanuts.

Sorry you had to spend the day in a Dr's office but at least you had some one on one time :)

Jennifer said...

First of all--your girls are beautiful!!

My son Patrick (age 10) has a peanut allergy so I have been super paranoid about the 2 younger ones and peanuts. I just took Gooser (age 5) in for a peanut butter test (just as you described)oh--his bloodwork had come back neg. too--and he HATED the PB so much we couldn't even get him to finish the test. So the dr. said to call him peanut allergic until proven otherwise.

I'm sorry about your daughter's allergy--feel free to ask me any questions as I've been dealing w/ it for so long!!

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

WheresMyAngels said...

Aysha used to have a nut allergy but we aren't seeing reaction anymore, thank goodness cause the girls were sneaking her nuts.

Chris Kauffman said...

Sorry about the news , I have an anaphylactic daughter and husband , I used to have hope that she would outgrow it too , but have learned although that is possible not to count on it as this is kinds rare .
Just your one daughter is allergic , wow , isn't that interesting.
If you ever have any questions reguarding her allergy or how to deal with it , if I can help you can email me any time , christiekauffman@hotmail.com
We live without all things nut and peanut and things that may contain , all that , I have learned how to be Sophie's advocate when it comes to school, although there have been some accidental exposures(while eating out ) we are doing very well.
Take care ,
Chris

Chris Kauffman said...

One more thing , I know new here and buggy , apologize, don't assume her allergy is minor because it was just rashes , with every exposure her reactions can at any time become life threatening , never take a peanut allergy lightly , others have made this mistake and had terrible outcomes, it is always better to be safer than wreckless with ananphylaxis. www.peanutallergy.com boards is a great place to learn how to deal.
Chris