Monday, December 8, 2008

Christmas Cookies

It's time for holiday baking and I thought I would share one of my favorite recipes.

Mexican Wedding Cakes--yummy!
(a.k.a. Russian Tea Cakes)
1 cup powdered sugar
2 cups of butter, softened
2 tsp. vanilla
4 1/2 cups flour
1 cup of finely chopped nuts ( I use pecans or walnuts)
1/2 tsp. salt

Mix together powdered sugar, butter and vanilla.
Stir in flour, nuts and salt until dough holds together.
Shape dough into 1 inch balls.
Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet for 10-12 minutes at 400 degrees.
Roll cookies in powdered sugar while warm.
Cool completely on wire rack (about 30 minutes).
Once the cookies are cool, roll them in powdered sugar again.

This recipe makes about 6 dozen cookies so you can easily cut the recipe in half for a smaller batch.


18 comments:

Jen said...

I made these for the first time last year. *Love* them!

debi9kids said...

OH! How fabulous! These look yummy!
PS Funny, but I spent the day baking and posted all about it today too.

Jessica said...

MMMM...can't wait to be your cookie tester. Ya know I want to make sure they are perfect before you give any away!!!

Tara Bennett said...

These are some of my fave cookies ever. I just really have to watch and not inhale to soon, or a choke/cough fest ensues what with the powder sugar 'n all!

Malena said...

That is so awesome! I just blogged about these cookies too - no recipe though - but I am telling you, these cookies are the trendiest right now. But the best part is that they seem really yummy!

Shannon said...

A woman after my own heart...not that I am the least bit surprised:) These are my ALL time favorites!

Shala said...

These are some of my favorite cookies, but I have always bought them instead of making them. Maybe I will try this soon!

Rachael Schirano \\ Rachael Schirano Photography said...

these sound so yummy!

Live.Love.Eat said...

Oh cool! I made some a week or so ago but mine flatten out and then I just dust it with the powdered sugar. Oh, now I remember, mine use white cake mix in them. So many versions out there :)

Solei said...

Oh me... Oh my!

These are those little cookie thingies that we Mexicans put out at Weddings and Quinceaneras and stuff. I LOVE these!!! They are frieking declicious and my oh my, I've ALWAYS wanted to know how to make them myself but gheez! It's a very guarded recipe (until now)!!!

THANK U!
I will definitely make these asap...
=0D

Jen said...

OH I love those cookies. I could really use one right now.

Jen Sue Wild said...

These look yum I will give them a try.
Thanks!!

The Blonde Duck said...

I was just thinking about these today! You read my mind!

Michelle said...

I make these every year as they are a holiday favorite!

CHELZERS said...

OH those remind me of my mom! She made those every Christmas. I love the Holiday Season and all the great COOKIES!!! :)

nikkicrumpet said...

Oh...they look and sound yummy...dang I wish I liked to cook....although I'd probably gain a gazillion pounds!

Heather said...

Those are my favorite! Once I start eating them, I can't stop! Yum Yum!

Anonymous said...

Hey Auntie these are my all time favorite Christmas cookies. I always choose to make these ones.hope the girls and you feel better soon. Can't wait to see you on Christmas. (or before)