Friday, December 26, 2008

Christmas tradition...the greatest muffins ever!

My mom was a great cook and she loved to bake. One of my favorite memories is eating these melt-in-your-mouth muffins on Christmas morning. My mom would wake up early to make them for us so that they were hot out of the oven just in time to open presents.

They are easy to make and SO delicious!

French Puffs
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup of milk

Cream together shortening, 1/2 cup of sugar, and egg. In a small bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg. Add milk and the flour mixture to the shortening and mix well. (I use an electric mixer).
Grease muffin cups and fill them 2/3 full. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

For the topping, mix 1/2 cup of sugar and 1 tsp. of cinammon in a bowl. Melt 1/2 cup of butter. When the muffins come out of the oven, roll them in the melted butter and then roll them in the cinammon-sugar mixture. Serve them hot!

22 comments:

Jen said...

Oooo, those look really, reallty good.

Rebecca Jo said...

MMMMM.... warm muffins.... those sound fantastic!

Michele S said...

Man, those look good. I might try those next week. Isn't every day Christmas when you have triplets? (Insert weird shrill laughter.) Hope you guys had a great day! Merry Christmas.

Michele S said...

Hey! What's up with moderation? Did you get a new fan club? Hee hee hee.

Stephanie said...

YUMMY!!!!! I am so making these tomorrow morning!!!!!!!!

Kelsey said...

Ohhh yummy!
They look delicious.

Mandy said...

I think I will give these a try.

girlytwins said...

Those look Delicious. I will surely be trying them :)

Jessica said...

Yes they are good..Note to self..must not use expired shortening when making them.

Stephanie said...

Ok, had to drop you a comment to tell you that I did make these muffins yesterday morning. My kids DEVOURED them. It's a good thing I doubled the recipe or I would not have gotten one between my husband and 5 kids there were only 2 left by the time I got to sit down to eat!

I will definitely make these again! Thanks for the recipe!

Kacey said...

Um...YUUUUM! Those look fabulous!

Live.Love.Eat said...

Wow. I am going to put this on my list of things to make. Hope your Christmas was wonderful!

Ali said...

Mmmmm, those look great!

Shannon said...

Yummy! I want one!

Michelle said...

Oh, they look yummy!

My Trendy Tykes said...

ooooh these sound AWESOME! I am going to give them a try and then eat a few....I'll let ya know how they turn out. hee hee

Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Linda

The Blonde Duck said...

Those muffins are grand! Did I ever answer your question about the beef bullion cubes?

Carrie and Jim said...

These muffins look great. Thanks for sharing new and delicious ideas!

Susan said...

Just copied it down! Thanks for sharing. They look absolutely delicious.

Leslee P said...

ummmm, those look YUMMO, I need to make them! Thanks for sharing.

Haley said...

I just found your blog through MckMamma and saw this recipe while scrolling down. My mom passed away 3 1/2 years ago and she used to make these. I've been trying to find the recipe since she died! I'm so excited!!! And by the way, your girls are beautiful. I admire any mom who has multiples because I know how hard it is with just 1 (now two, but both were singletons!).

Claremont First Ward said...

They look amazing..........