Sunday, December 6, 2009

Eye Eye Captain

I took Alyssa in for an appointment with the Opthamologist this week as a follow-up from her 4 year old check-up with our pediatrician. At that time, Alyssa wasn't 100% cooperative with her eye exam, but it was hard to tell if it was just attitude or vision problems.

Well, it turns out that she has a very mild case of amblyopia. There is nothing wrong with the alignment of her eyes, but the image quality in her left eye is weaker than her right eye. She doesn't need glasses, but the doctor suggested that we patch her good eye for a few hours each day in the hopes of strengthening the weaker eye.

I came home feeling a bit nervous about our new adventure in patching that would begin the next morning. I was worried that she would fight with me about wearing it, but Alyssa was fantastic about it and didn't mind wearing the patch at ALL. We put it on when she wakes up in the morning and her teacher takes it off of her at preschool a few hours later. I ordered some eye patches from this website which Alyssa thinks are the perfect accesory to whatever pink outfit she has on that day. We will go back to the doctor in 4 months to see if the patching is working. Hopefully, we have caught the problem early enough that this minor intervention will work.

Alyssa models her fave "princess" design eye patch.

16 comments:

Jen said...

I must say...that's a pretty cute eye patch!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Jen super cute with the eye patch. Glad she doesn't mind wearing them :-)!

loren said...

That patch is pretty stinkin' cute! The doctors recommended the same thing for my nephew, but my sister never did it. His eyesight is aweful! So good for you for jumping on that right away.

Rebecca said...

What a trooper, I hope everything works out!

amandajessica01 said...

hopefully this works for you - i had on at the age of 6 and it wasn't so successful. granted 2 years may be a big difference in wanting to do it!

Suzanne said...

NOOOOO! not the eye patch! poor gal- but she is SO DERN cute in them! hey--so we have a FULL box of these, but not sure if they are the right size: Medium Orthopad with the cute little designs on them. let me know and i'll mail them your way! (i also need your address anyways--please email it to me when you get a sec).

hugs!
suz

Pam said...

She looks like a very happy little girl, I bet the other wish they could wear one also! I hope this helps, my oldest son had the same problem.....27 years ago he has good vision today!

Hilary said...

Very cute!!! :)

Jaysi said...

How knew they made such cute little eye patches??? My son would love to have to wear a patch...then he would really look like a pirate!!

Jessica said...

What a trooper!! And I know having them in pink was a BIG bonus:)

Tabitha Blue said...

Awwww, she is so cute!! At least she loves it, she's adorable with a patch on :)

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

Who knew there were Princess eye patches?! How cute! I hope they do the trick.

Claremont First Ward said...

What a blessing that she is such a cooperative doll and will wear her eye patch. The ones you found are so cute. Your girls amaze me.

{K} said...

That's a cute pink patch! I hope her eye improves.

Laura said...

She rocks that eye patch! Thanks for reminding me to take my girls in. They seemed fine on their exam but we also weren't sure so they need to be rechecked. Preemies... an all.

girlytwins said...

She is the cutest pirate ever :) I hope it all works out for you guys. She is such a doll.