Saturday, April 24, 2010

Another GREAT book

I just finished The Help by Kathryn Stockett and I loved it. The story takes places in Mississippi during the 1960's in the midst of the civil rights movement. The white families employed black maids to run their households, yet didn't feel they were worthy of having the same rights as they did.

In this book, you meet Miss Skeeter who comes home from college and is heartbroken to find their longtime maid is no longer working for their family, yet nobody will tell her the real reason why. She starts to question why the black maids are treated the way they are and decides to anonymously write a book telling the stories of the maids. The stories turn into spilling secrets, talking about their unfair treatment and celebrating the love they have for the white children they raise.

This is one of the best books I have read in awhile. The whole time I read it, I thought to myself that this story would make a great movie. Dreamworks is already in the process of bringing it to the big screen. I can't wait to see my favorite characters come to life in the movie.



8 comments:

Jessica said...

OOOh sounds good..Maybe I will read this one and then we can go see the movie together..reminds me that I better finish eclipse since the movie will be out soon!

Tracey's Life said...

Thanks Casey - I had this book on my wish list to read after seeing it at Sams Club. I guess I will download it today and start reading it since you are giving it a thumbs up!

Hope you are all well.

Jen said...

This one is already on my list! I'm even more excited about reading it now!

Jen said...

This one is already on my list! I'm even more excited about reading it now!

Jen said...

I LOVED this books. So good!!!

Anonymous said...

oo I loved this book as well! Glad you got a chance to read it!

loren said...

IT's SO funny you posted about this book. I was just reading someone else's "must read" list and saw The Help on it... but I had no idea what it was about! THANKS! :)

Cecily R said...

This one is on my list already, but maybe I need to move it up if it's that good!