As I stood in the kitchen tonight listening to the girls scream, laugh and run around the house playing before bed, I realized that the loud noise, while possibly annoying and obnoxious to any other normal human being, was welcomed and soothing to me.
The gleeful, lighthearted screaming was abundant in the house tonight and I wanted to freeze the moment...wanting to remember the sounds of laughter and burn the images of their little faces in my memory.
I had to dodge the girls as they zoomed around my feet on their cars. Jumped over dropped sippy cups, baby dolls, and various toys while trying to clean up the kitchen and then decided I had better move some of this stuff before the girls trip and fall while chasing each other. So I picked up some of their toys and put them back in the toy bin (a.k.a. the clothes hamper) and moved their now discarded "cars" to another area where they wouldn't be in the way. I laughed to myself when within 1 minute of moving said items to a safer spot, the girls promptly plucked them out of the toy bin back onto the kitchen floor and rolled their cars back into the middle of the walkway.
It is so much fun to see their little personalities develop.
Makena, for the most part, is the most easy going. When someone makes her mad, she definitely lets you know, but usually gets over it quickly and moves on. She has this funny way of "prancing" when she runs, since most of the time, she runs on her tiptoes. We often see her running back and forth in the entryway or just entertaining herself and she always has the biggest grin on her face.

Alyssa is our emotional girl. She needs lots of hugs and cuddling throughout the day and can be very dramatic when she's not happy. Alyssa loves to be chased. She giggles so loudly when she thinks you are coming to get her and she'll take off on her "car" if she thinks someone is on her tail. She is also developing a love for purses and shoes.

Riley is just a character. Definitely the "class clown" who loves being silly and making everyone laugh. She enjoys snuggling and being tickled and most of the time wants to be the center of attention or always the one sitting in my lap, or closest to mommy etc...

As a mother, watching the bond between the girls is so much fun and I hope that they will always cherish each other and protect one another as they get older. They are starting to show more empathy and caring for each other and it is so fun to see. Offering food or even a binky (gasp) to each other usually happens now on a daily basis. When they see each other in the morning or after waking up from naps, they break out in huge grins, point and say "sissy."

Listening to the girls scream tonight was music to my ears. I hope I always welcome the sound of their gleeful screaming, never hearing it as just noise.







8 comments:
Reading your post was music in my mind. What a wonderful post. I'm glad you are taking the time to enjoy and cherish the moments that only your triplets can bring into your life, and I love that you recorded little generalizations about their personalities.
I really love this post. My girls have just started the babbling! Even when it is bedtime and they talk to keep from going to sleep, it is music to my ears!
Kimberly and the GA Guinn Trips
www.guinnfamilyhome.com
Your girls are inspiring to me. My daugter is in the NICU now. She was born 16 weeks too early weighing 1 pound 3 ounces. She had PDA surgery too. She came off at 2.5 weeks but is now back on it at 3.5 weeks. I pray that her outcome is as good as Alyssa's, Riley's and Makeena's
what a great post yet again! i find it hard sometimes to think of the noise and chaos as enjoyable, but when i read your blog, i was thinking that i have to start enjoying it more for it will soon be gone and i will have a house full of teenagers. i have 2 singletons, plus the twins, and i must say that i thoroughly enjoy watching the twins interact. the bond between them is amazing. i am so glad i am a m,ultiples mom and get to experience seeing that. anyway, i once again enjoyed your post! keep up the good work!
Anonymous...
Thanks for your comment. I am glad that you found some inspiration through my girls. Micropreemies are little fighters and I hope your precious baby is hanging in there. The early days in the NICU can be so hard. Please feel free to email me at kcquilao@yahoo.com if you would like some support through this tough time. I can also give you some information about an online preemie support group if you are interested.
Casey
That was beautifully written Casey. Makes me cry a little bit because I haven't heard the sound of the girls in too long. I miss them.
I love this posting. Yes, the noise of kids can be deafening at times, but it truly is music to a mom's ears. It means our kids are here and are healthy. I love the descriptions of each of your girls, they are like a breath of fresh air with their excitement for life.
Yes, the noise tends to grow on you.
When my kiddos are asleep and the house is quiet, I almost don't know what to do.
It's funny to watch people (who don't have little kids) come to the house and try to have a conversation with me. I'm totally ok with it, but you can tell they can't concentrate!
Post a Comment