Thursday, August 9, 2007

A moment in time

On this day, two years ago, I was admitted to the hospital for pre-term labor. I was only 23 weeks pregnant, had been on bedrest at home for 5 weeks, had already had a cervical cerclage put in and was taking oral medication to try and stop the contractions I was having. Just two days earlier, Steve and I drove to the hospital because I had reached my thereshold of 6 contractions in an hour. I was kept overnight and then released after my contractions slowed down.

I had a doctor appointment on the morning of August 9, 2005 for a growth ultrasound. My babies looked great, all growing like they should be. Weights were estimated to be 1.4, 1.5, and 1.6.....but my cervix had shortened to just 1 cm.

Per my doctors orders, I made my way over to labor and delivery and was hooked up to monitors, as well as a terbutaline pump. Over the next two days, I was also given steroid shots to help the babies' lungs develop. My doctor made rounds every morning around 6 a.m. and I always looked forward to his visit. He was my knight in shining armor. The one person who I trusted to get me through this pregnancy with 3 healthy babies.

Dr. M told me that I was staying put in the hospital for atleast 2-3 weeks so that I was over the "viability" hump at 24 weeks and would be closer to the 28 week mark. I was more than content to stay right where I was in the hospital. The monitors and awesome nursing staff brought me comfort because I knew that they could act quickly if needed.

It turns out that in relation to medication, I must have the metabolism of a horse. Taking just one medication wasn't doing the trick, so there was alot of fiddling around with the meds. I was on Terbutaline and Indocin, or Terbutaline and Nifedipine and finally Magnesium Sulfate with Indocin, Nifedipine or Terbutaline shots. The side effects that I was warned about were mild for me.

My stay in labor and delivery lasted for 13 days. I made it to 25 weeks, 1 day before my three little miracles made their way into this world.



7 comments:

Claremont First Ward said...

Wow, you had a beautiful bump! I'm so glad that the side effects from the medicine didn't effect you too terribly, even though they didn't stop your contractions. I was reading your post thinking about how scared you must have been all those weeks on bedrest, in the hospital and during the girls NICU stay. They almost delivered my boys at 25 weeks and I was terrified! You've been through so much and I love that you weathered it all with your humor intact!

Claremont First Ward said...

and hey, why didn't you have 4 (one for each babies heartbeat and the one for contractions) toggles on your stomach? :) Now that would have been an interesting picture!

Anonymous said...

I remember how excited and terrified we all were at this time 2 years ago. *Whew* Life is is good and God is great. XO (and those Quilao Girlz are SOOOOO CUTE!)

The Pruetz Family said...

What an experience. Doesn't it seem like it was yesterday and yet like it was a million years ago, all at the same time? Simply amazing.

And I agree with Tracey -- those girls are adorable and perfect! What a miracle!

Teresa said...

I can not believe you delivered them so early and they are SO healthy. You are truly blessed. What little miracles those precious little girls are!

Malena said...

What a beautiful belly!

Ms. Perky said...

I can't believe what a beautiful, perfect baby belly you had!!

The side effects of the tocolytics hit me pretty hard at first, but I get used to them really quickly. But unfortunately, I seem to build up a sensitivity to the drugs really quickly too. I'm quickly topping out on th terbutaline and have now added Indocin, but it sounds like if this doesn't work I'll be in the hospital with mag sulfate. JOY!

It's amazing how far you've come in two years!