Monday, October 8, 2007

Fall cooking

Steve gave me a hug a couple days ago and then told me I smelled like cotton candy. Ahhhhh, how sweet he is.

I take that as a compliment since just 18 months ago my perfume consisted of baby puke and stale armpits from not showering all day.

The change in weather has brought out the Betty Crocker in me. The cotton candy odor that Steve was smelling was actually chocolate chip cookies. My favorite. Also out of the oven recently......pumpkin spice muffins and coffee cake that I took to work today.

Who cares that it came from a box? Or tub?

Next on the baking list is one of my favorite recipes that my mom used to make. French Puff muffins! Those I make from scratch.

There is a story behind why I need to make them sooner rather than later. BF Jess, who also happens to be my next door neighbor, borrowed the recipe last week. She was going to make the muffins to impress some ladies in her Bible study group. She comes over and gets the recipe the night before and looks at the list to make sure she has all of the ingredients before going back home.

One of the benefits of having your best friend as your neighbor is that we really do borrow eggs and butter from each other ALL the time.

She had everything she needed.

The next day, I wander next door to find out how it all went. Were the muffins a big hit? Was the cinammon and sugar melted into the top of the muffin perfectly?

Turns out the muffins didn't turn out so well. BF Jess is certain that one ingredient threw the whole recipe off. Pretty sure it was the shortening that was over a year expired.

The final report was that the muffins tasted funny.....she forced fed a muffin to her hubby (a.k.a. Bob the Builder) who has been known to eat and like just about anything. It didn't pass his inspection which meant they must have been really bad.

BF Jess was forced to go to the grocery store at the last minute and buy some store-made muffins.

I told her I would make the muffins for her soon. Especially now that I told her story on my blog.

She's lucky I don't have a scanner yet. One day I will have a scanner and the pictures that I will post from our high school days will probably make us both want to cry.

In embarassment.

Until then, I'll keep trying to talk BF Jess into starting her own blog, so that she can tell embarassing stories about me.

3 comments:

Mary Franks said...

Hey Casey I love reading the things about you and your girls. I really like when you add Jessica in there. Take care. Oh and BTW I too love the "bucket o' cookies" from Costco.

My name is Tammie said...

Yum!! Send some my way. Maybe not the muffins just yet but the coffee cake sounds delish!

Claremont First Ward said...

Sounds like a picture is in order.......just so we can all drool a little. I have recipe for chocolate chip cookies that I LOVE. It calls for margarine (which I usually don't like baking with), but it has to be Golden's margarine. Any other margarine and the cookies don't turn out.....not only that, they taste like crap......weird how recipes can be like that!