Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Fight for Preemies

Over 400 bloggers are uniting today to raise awareness for premature birth. Twenty million babies are born prematurely every year. Visit the March of Dimes website to learn more about how you can help fight prematurity.


My girls were born at 25 weeks, 1 day weighing between 1.6 and 1.11 pounds. They were frighteningly small and were faced with physical hurdles that were terrifying to think of. Some of the terms that we became familiar with included Patent Ductus Arteriosis (PDA), Blood transfusion, Chronic Lung Disease, Retinopathy of Prematurity, Apnea, and Bradychardia.

Looking back at pictures from their first days in the NICU takes my breath away because the girls were so fragile. It almost feels like those days we spent in the NICU were a dream and too life-changing of an experience to put into words.

But we were the lucky ones. Our girls survived.

Alyssa



Makena



Riley



Our happy, healthy, miracle girls!

We are so thankful for organizations like the March of Dimes who raise millions of dollars every year to fund research to raise awareness, help prevent prematurity and aid in developing medical advances that will help save babies.

18 comments:

Cyndy Bush said...

You sure were lucky - x 3! =)
Thank God for the March for Babies.

Tracey's Life said...

Wow - looking at their newborn pictures compared to today! I am so glad you have your three precious and beautiful miracles with you, and so sad for all the people I know that have lost their beautiful premature babies.

Jen said...

I didn't realize your girls were so very tiny! It truly is a miracle to look at them today! We are all so lucky to have a organization like March of Dimes! I joined in the fight today in honor of my nieces who were born premature this Summer.

Pam said...

Wow that takes my breath too. I was fortunate to not have this experience, but so many of my blogger friends have lived through it. This is one organization I will support. Your girls are just beautiful, you are a beautiful mom too! Thank you for sharing. Your friend in East Texas, Pam.

Hilary said...

So Amazing!! :)

Claremont First Ward said...

Tammie and I were talking about your girls this weekend. They will always be what I consider "poster babies" for the micro preemies and the obstacles they can overcome. True miracles if I ever saw one.

Rebecca said...

My gosh they were so tiny. They are little miracles. I imagine those first days, weeks, and months were some stressful ones. It is a good thing they have such a loving mommy and daddy.

Sharlene said...

WOW! Seeing the words 25 weeks 1 day gave me chills. What absolute miracles.

Jen said...

Your girls are such a mircle. Whenever I read your story, I am in awe of everything that you went through and how beautiful they are today.

God truly blessed you!

Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful post! Thanks for sharing your story and your journey. Your girls are sweet little miracles.

Michelle said...

It gives me the chills to see just how tiny your girls were.

girlytwins said...

I still get teary eyed when I see pics of your girls as newborns. It is truly amazing how much they overcame and what beautiful, smart and funny girls they are. We are so blessed :) Miracles for sure.

The Amazing Trips said...

That is SO incredible that your girls were born so early and so small and LOOK AT THEM NOW. They are so beautiful and so healthy and ... WOW.

I've got goosebumps.

debi9kids said...

I had NO idea how early your girls were! It just makes them all the more amazing! WOW! Those photos stole my breath away and made me tear up.
They are such beautiful blessings!

Jaysi said...

Wow...those pictures say it all. Honestly, that one of Makena doesn't even look like a human baby. (I hope that doesn't sound bad) It is almost too much to comprehend....looking at your amazing big girls now!!! What miracles they are.

Together We Save said...

Wow - those pictures are amazing!! Your girls are so beautiful, what a blessing.

http://togetherwesave.blogspot.com/2009/11/click-to-give.html

Jessica said...

Gave me chills. It's hard to remember how very vulnerable they were:). What miracles and blessings. Those were some scary times. Love ya and your three miracles!

{K} said...

wow, they were so tiny! I'm so glad they're healthy girls now.