Friday, June 1, 2007

Miss Riley needs glasses

We took Riley in for a follow-up appointment with her pediatric opthamologist today and found out that she needs glasses. I'm a little bummed out about it, just because you don't envision your 21 month old needing glasses. I'm worried about her keeping them on and her sisters ripping them off her face, getting teased etc.... Riley was our baby who was diagnosed with ROP in the NICU, but thankfully her condition was not severe enough to require laser surgery. Currently, Riley has astigmatism in both eyes and is nearsighted (can't see far away). So we picked out some frames today and will have her glasses in about 3 weeks. We are thankful that our 25 week preemies have done SOOOOO well developmentally in all areas and realize that needing eye glasses should be the least of our worries. I'll post some pictures once we get her glasses, but for now here are a few pics from the doctor's office!






4 comments:

Claremont First Ward said...

Riley looks so cute. I'm so glad that she avoided the ROP surgery, but I can imagine that it will be difficult, especially at first to (one) get Riley to keep the glasses on and (two) keep her sisters from pulling them off. Do they make special extra bendable glasses for a child as small as Riley? I found out last year that my 5 year old would most likely need glasses before she entered Kindergarten (which is this September). I'm already dreading it because she doesn't want them, and I know it'll be a struggle to get her to wear them, and then to keep track of them, too.

I am AMAZED at how well your girls have done! Truely miracles. I've never been so thankful for modern medicine as I have these past few years.

Suzanne said...

i too am so completely amazed at how well your girls are doing and developing everyday! 25 weeks?!?! wow. and i know the glasses wont be easy...but i think little toddlers with glasses on are adorable!

kelly w said...

hi! i found your blog through your comments on suzanne's (quad) blog. my little girl got glasses at 22 months. i had all the same worries that you do about keeping them on, siblings pulling them off, etc. amazingly, my daughter was great with the glasses! i think because she could see better, she kept them on! i dreaded and dreaded the glasses, then it turned into NO big deal. its beautiful how resilient kids are! she is farsighted and has an astigmatism. you can check out my blog for pics of my daughter in her glasses! now, when she doesn't have them on, she seems "naked"! if you have any questions, feel free to email me. kellywoodard@juno.com! sarah's glasses have extended ear pieces that wrap around her ear. sometimes, people think she has hearing aides because they can see her little ear piece peeking out! i think the whole story of how we got to glasses is on our blog somewhere! if you're interested! good luck!

Anonymous said...

I am so thrilled that the girls are healthy and happy. I think all that time mom & dad and everyone was praying for them in the beginning really helped too. I believe that babies are very intuitive and can pick up on all the energy around them. We were all rooting for them and sending as much love as possible ;-)