Sunday, June 29, 2008

Dear Chevrolet bigwigs,

I am writing you this letter to inform you of a major flaw in your 2005 Tahoe model. Up to this point, my family has been happily accessing the back of our vehicle with the remote keyless entry feature that came with the car. Looks like this is the ONLY way to get into the back of the car and we learned this the hard way. And inconveniently, I might add.

This past Saturday, my husband and I packed up our 2 year old triplets and headed to the mall to have lunch and take advantage of the indoor play structure that would surely tire them out so they would come home and pass out for at least a 2 hour nap. We had such a great time while we were there, that my husband and I decided to push the limits and take our well-behaved children to the *GAP. Heck, they were having a great sale and we could use some new summer clothes. Sure, it was getting close to their naptime, but we would be in and out quickly. Their stomachs were filled with *McDonald’s fries and chicken nuggets and they were happily scarfing down fruit snacks while we browsed the clothing racks.

So 180 dollars and an hour later, we were hightailing it out of the mall as quickly as possible while trying to keep our now screaming children quiet by shoving *Mrs. Field’s cookie nibblers into their mouths. We quickly got to our car and I began to unload our children from their strollers. Hubby notices a HUGE problem. The back liftgate won’t open. To put it nicely, we asked ourselves WTF?? We pushed the unlock button and yanked on the handle at least 20 times. I managed to hoist myself over the carseats that fill the 2nd row seating and realized there is no handle or way to open the liftgate from the inside. Again, we find ourselves asking WTF?? My husband quickly problem solves and tells me that I will have to sit in the 3rd row seat so that he can sit our double stroller in the passenger seat for the ride home. The rest of our shopping bags, diaper bag, lunch bag, single stroller and various kid items are thrown to me over the 2nd row seat so that my husband can get our screaming children into the car.

THANKFULLY, we did not have our triple stroller with us on this trip or else there would have been NO way to get it into the car. It is simply TOO big to throw over the 2nd row seat and it would not have fit nicely as a passenger in the front row next to hubby.

So now I have to put my weekly *Costco trip on hold until we take the car in to get the liftgate fixed. Totally inconvenient. And since this is the only car that we use to travel anywhere with our 2 year old triplets, I will just have to make sure that we don’t go anywhere that requires a stroller. Hmmm, that should leave us at home until we get this fixed.

Sincerely,
Not so satisfied Tahoe owner

*Gratuitous product endorsement

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

As I read this you had me wondering about my own Tahoe (2001 model). Then I remembered there is a lock/unlock switch like on the doors in the back of my cargo window. I wonder why they would remove this? Still all in all the trip sounds like it was fun.

Casey's trio said...

Doesn't make any sense to me why they wouldn't have some sort of safety release either....I just got off the phone with the Chevy dealer and there is no way to manually open the back! Lovely!!

Rachael Schirano \\ Rachael Schirano Photography said...

oh no, i am so sorry such a wonderful trip ended that way! what a big huge pain in the butt, no safety release? duh chevy! seriously? anyway, i hope you get it fixed soon so you are able to get out and about...i know how important that is to a triplet momma's sanity!

Claremont First Ward said...

WHAT a PAIN!

Shannon said...

Oh no! I have a Suburban and I would be up a creek if I had no tail gate. So sorry that happened and I hope they can get you in ASAP!

girlytwins said...

Wow. I would be so pissed. That is no fun at all. You would think Chevy would be smarter than that. God luck at home the next few days

Anonymous said...

I have a Sequoia--and the EXACT same thing happened to us! The back would not open and there is NO WAY to open it from the inside! Isn't that crazy?
By the way--I love reading your blog! Your girls are precious and you are hilarious!
Erika in MS
www.isabellalandry.wordpress.com

Jaime Ann said...

We have been pushing the time limit on some of our outings with the trips lately too. I have been starting weekly costco trips lately, looks like I have them for years to come.

Laura said...

One of the things I love best of you is how you can write a story about the worst experience ever (minus the Gap loot) and make it sound totally funny!

I cannot imagine your reactions (well I can) when you had and still have no way to get in the back of your car. Can you say MORON! I cannot believe that bad design did not hit some kind of recall.

The Pruetz Family said...

GRRRRRRR. Just reading this makes me want to send a strongly worded message to Chevy. What a terrible experience for you all. Thank goodness the stars were aligned with Steve there and having two strollers instead of one big one.

I have a power lift-gate on my Kia. I'm going to go check it out right now.