We had our first detailed ultrasound on July 12, 2005 and confirmed that we were having 3 girls! The babies were right on target with their growth and were estimated to weigh 11 ounces. This was also the beginning of the complications in my pregnancy. My cervix was starting to open and the doctor put me on bedrest. I also started taking a medication called Nifedipine (Procardia) which is supposed to stop preterm contractions. We already had 2 names picked out: Alyssa Christine and Makena Jo.
On July 15, 2005 I had a doctor appointment with not so great news. My cervix was opening and showing some "funneling" when pressure was applied to my stomach. Dr. Mentakis recommended that I have a cervical cerclage to help reduce any further complications. I had the procedure done on Sunday July 17, 2005. I was in alot of pain that evening following the procedure due to contractions. The doctor had prescribed a second medication, Indocin, which I was now taking along with the Nifedipine. Bedrest continued.......
The most exciting part of my pregnancy was now happening because I was starting to feel the babies move and actually see some thumps from outside my belly! I spent the majority of my bedrest watching TLC programming, which consisted of lots of baby shows, and reading. Steve was traveling to L.A. for work several days at a time due to major projects so I was very bored. I was told to monitor any contractions that I was having and to call the hospital if I had more than 6 an hour.
On the evening of Sunday August 7, 2005, we went into Labor and Delivery at Kaiser Morse after I had 6 contractions in an hour. Luckily, Steve had just returned from L.A. that morning after several days away from home. I was kept overnight and sent home the next day. I had a doctor appointment on Tuesday August 9 and my second detailed ultrasound. The babies were growing and weight estimates were 1 pound 4 ounces, 1 pound 5 ounces and 1 pound 6 ounces. But, Dr. Mentakis sent me back to the hospital so that he could monitor my contractions for a full 24 hours. I was 23 weeks pregnant at this point. I was admitted to the hospital after continuing to have contractions. The Nifedipine was not working to stop them. I was put on a Terbuterline Pump, which was a stronger drug and was set to automatically give me a dose every 4 hours. My cervix had shortened to 1 cm. I was also given steroid shots to help develop the babies' lungs. I was relieved to be in the hospital and under 24 hour observation.
Once I was admitted to the hospital, the contractions never really stopped. There may have been 12-24 hours in the very beginning of my stay where we thought they were under control, but they never stayed away too long. I was so lucky to have some extraordinary nurses in Labor & Delivery take care of me (Karen Guye, Corrie Harshbarger, Dayna Fildes, Jill Edgar, Carol Hodge, Stephanie and many others). I will never have enough gratitude for the job that nurses do. Steve and I were lucky to receive the care that we did. We will never forget the ultrasounds that we got on the night shift to take a "quick peek" at the girls instead of just listening to their heartbeats. Steve fondly remembers going to the cafeteria for coffee and a "Choco Taco" each night for dessert. He began staying overnight with me as I entered week 24 because inevitably, we knew the girls were going to be born soon with the way my contractions were continuing. He brought a Raiders onesie into my hospital room that he hung up for inspiration. On the front it read, "Real babies wear black."
I was also put on Magnesium Sulfate to try and stop the contractions. Alot of women have really horrible side effects from this medication which include blurry vision, flushing, headaches, nausea etc. Luckily, I handled this medication pretty well. The hardest part was having my fluid intake restricted to prevent pulmonary edema.....I think I could have 1/4 cup of liquid to drink in an hour. I would sometimes save it up so that I could have a whole cup of water with a meal. My contractions really kicked it up a notch on Thursday August 18, 2005. I was on Magnesium and getting Terbuterline shots every 2 hours to help stop the contractions. I am amazed at how my body did not respond to the medications I was being given, especially since the doctors were doubling up on the drugs. I was having contractions every 7-8 minutes and would have maybe an hour or so after each Terb shot where they would calm down in intensity. After 3 or 4 days of painful contractions, I was worn out from little sleep and the pain. I was given pain medication twice to get some relief. Because my cervix was so short and my cerclage was still there, but barely hanging on, my cervix was not regularly checked by a doctor. The fear was that any activity in that area could loosen the cerclage. As of Friday August 19, 2005, I was not dilated and the cerclage was still in place.
Were we introduced to one of the Case Managers and Neonatologists from the NICU. Steve and I were told about all of the complications that could happen if our babies were born this early. Everything from brain bleeds, cerebral palsy, mental retardation to the fear that they might not survive at all. It was something that you never think you will hear about your children. I prayed that these babies would hang in there as long as possible. We were also told that girls born prematurely tend to do better than boys. At this point, I told Steve that we had to pick a third name and decide which baby would receive which name. We agreed that Riley was our third name and assigned names to babies A, B and C. In some way, this helped prepare me for their very early birth. On the otherhand, we continued to have hope that I would stay pregnant as long as possible.
The hospital food soon became boring after I realized that the menu just repeats itself every week. I was lucky to have frequent visitors who would bring food when they came...some of my favorites were donuts, Taco Bell and McDonald's Egg McMuffins. One of my nurses, Corrie, also introduced me to "juice spritzers" which was 1/2 juice and 1/2 7-up. Washing down some peanut butter and crackers with a juice spritzer was one of my favorite snacks.
On Monday August 21, 2005 I was 25 weeks along! I was so happy to have made it through another week. Every single day was such an accomplishment. Whenever any of my regular L&D nurses had a day off in their schedule, they'd say "I better see you here when I get back." Unfortunately, I only made it to 25 weeks and 1 day. My best friend Jessica was with me all day on the 22nd while Steve was at work. My contractions continued to get more intense and I just didn't feel right. I called Steve and he came to the hospital instead of going home first to feed our animals. My contractions changed and I had a few where I had the urge to push. Not a good sign at all. The doctor on call had to check my cervix and felt I was dilated to about 6 cm. I was rushed in for an emergency C-section. The doctor did not want to wait for the Anesthesiologist to give me an epidural so I was put completely under, which meant that Steve could not be in the delivery room. It was amazing how quickly people moved into place when the doctor gave the word. I was in the Operating Room within minutes and it was quite scary. There was so much activity going on around me and I was trying to listen to what was being said. I was strapped down to the table and being prepped for the C-section. Nurses would look at me and ask me questions and would be gone before I could even answer. Thankfully, two of my L&D nurses were in the room with me, Corrie and Jill. The last thing I remember was Jill holding my hand telling me that she wasn't letting go and would hold my hand the entire time. Our three miracles were born on August 22, 2005.














0 comments:
Post a Comment