Friday, May 9, 2008

Sorrow and Joy

Mother’s Day is bittersweet for me. It has been 15 years since I celebrated this day with my mom. Her death has left a hole in my life that will never be filled. Having children of my own makes me miss her even more. I miss her laugh and her easy-going attitude. I like to believe that I inherited a lot of her qualities. The most important being a love for family. Growing up as a child, there was never a shortage of hugs, kisses and I love you’s. My parents separated when I was very young, but they always maintained a caring and respectful relationship towards one another. As an adult, I admire how they kept whatever issues they had between themselves.

My mom loved to read and she was an awesome cook. She used to whip up some killer twice-baked potatoes and I used to love it when we had breakfast for dinner. She was a petite 5 feet 3/4 of an inch tall and by the time I was a teenager, I had surpassed her in height. I always admired my mom for her strength and independence. She was loyal and honest and always put her children first. In fact, I was born one day after her 26th birthday.

My mom battled leukemia the last year of her life. She was in and out of the hospital undergoing chemotherapy. For a short time, we hoped the leukemia was in remission, but it came back. Ultimately, she had a stroke at home and passed away in the hospital.

My mom would have been thrilled about being a grandmother to 5 beautiful girls. It makes me so sad that they will never know her because I know they all would have had such a special relationship.

I am so lucky to be a mom and I can now find joy in Mother's Day again. The girls have been working hard the last couple of days (with the help of nanny Mariya) to make some special gifts for me, which I received two days early. Lucky me! They started with a vase that they painted themselves.

And then they moved on to more mouth-watering goodies!



Goodies that they couldn't help themselves from taste-testing while they were making them.


At least I know that everything passed through a quality inspection!


When I got home from work on Friday afternoon, I was greeted with three eager little girls shouting "Happy Momma's Day" over and over. And then I walked into the house to find my treats waiting for me.


And I couldn't be more thankful about my beautiful daughters.


Happy Momma's Day!


15 comments:

Claremont First Ward said...

Oh my gosh. This is so, so sweet. AND, you couldn't get a better quality control panel. It really makes me sad that my children don't know my mom either.....Happy Mother's Day. Can't wait to hear how your hubby makes the day special for you.
P.S. I sent a momo grandma with 25weekers (born last week) the link to your site.

Jessica said...

Happy Mother's Day. I know it must be so hard to not have your mom around. She would be so proud of the great Mom you are!
I love ya girl,

Heather said...

Ok, darling pictures! I love the chocolate. What a great tribute to your mom, and knowing that you will be able to pass on some of her great qualities to 3 little girls who will become tremendous mothers someday. It looks like your mom left quite a legacy!

Jodi said...

Happy Mother's Day

The Pruetz Family said...

What a beautiful tribute to your mom. I know she must be so proud of you and the job you are doing with your three wonderful daughters. I am glad that Mother's Day is a day of joy for you again and that you are willing to share your mom's legacy with the world.

Happy Mother's Day.

Carter and Addy's Mommy said...

ok now I am crying....your post touched me! I never knew the joy of mother's day until now. Looking back on all of those long, uncertain NICU days and the days after, I can truly say it was all worth it to have my two babies. I am so blessed to be spending mother's day with my two precious miracles. Thank you for reminding me of what a gift being a mother is! When I saw the cards and flowers laying on your table for you, I got all teary eyed thinking about the long road you (and me) have come, and the end result is so wonderful and sweet. Who would've thought our little one pounder babies could bring you this much joy, and make you gifts for when you get home from work! Truly amazing! Happy Mother's Day!

loren said...

Happy Mother's Day!

Sorry it'll be a rough one for you.... I'm very lucky to have both my parents around.

Enjoy your treats, while I sit here in the rain with nothing but a beer to drown my sorrows in! (Mike's not a big fan of holidays.)

K said...

Happy Mother's Day to you! What sweet gifts your daughters made :)

Shannon said...

Precious photos and what fantastic gifts! I am so sorry that you are without your mom. She is proud of the mother that you are for sure! Happy Mamma's day to you Casey!

Jeannie said...

Your mom sounds so lovely. I dont know you but can tell through your posts that you love those girls of yours so much, I know she is proud of how you are mothering them.

Crystal said...

Love the pictures. Hope you had a great Mother's Day. I know what you mean about missing your mom on Mother's Day. I cannot wait until I have children, maybe the day will be better. But for now, I try to avoid celebrating Mother's Day.

Amy said...

hey girl! I understand how you are feeling around this time. I lost my dad 18 years ago and Father's day has always been difficult for me. Thanks for sharing your heart! thinking of you!

latree said...

that was sooooooooooo sweet!
happy mothers day (which is celebrated on 22 december in indonesia..)
Your girls are ... oh.. I don't know what to say. wonderful!

Pam said...

Thta is so sweet! What a good mother you are, these girls are blessed! I know my mother lost her mother when she was 17, so I didn't know my Grandmother, but I know she was one special lady because she reared wonderful children! Keep up the good work it shows! Your friend in East Texas, Pam.

girlytwins said...

Happy Mother's Day Casey! You are a very lucky Mommy. Your girls are so cute. I am sorry that your Mother's Day is somewhat bittersweet without your mom. She would be so proud of the Mother you are. It sounds like you have her wonderful mothering qualities.